How to pick the right garage door company.
Ron and I want to treat you how we would want to be treated. That goes for everything from our pricing to our customer service. We want to treat you with honesty, fairness and transparency. If you have questions at any point in time when dealing with us, we welcome you to just simply ask!
Unfortunately, I hear all too often of people overpaying for garage door repair and service. I once saw an invoice from a large company, that is a local competitor for a whopping $68.50 center bearing that goes in the spring. (our retail price for that exact part is $5.) If you have a garage door company come out for a repair and they recommend that you spend over $500, It is time to get a second opinion. I have put this guideline together to help try to point you in the right direction.
13 Questions & Concerns to Discuss with Any Garage Door Company
1. Does the contractor carry general liability, and workers compensation insurance?
– Southern Garage Doors has both.
2. Does the contractor have a current contractor’s license and registration?
– Southern Garage Doors is licensed in Sarasota and Manatee counties. LICENSE INFORMATION: Sarasota County License: #SGD-36, Manatee County License: MC00001
3. Don’t be pressured into “buying today” or “up-selling”.
– Southern Garage Doors exercises a no-pressure approach to selling.
4. What payment options are available?
– Southern Garage Doors accepts cash, personal checks. We do accept Credit or Debit, however, there is a 3.5% Convenience Fee.
5. Does the contractor have experience with jobs such as yours?
– Southern Garage Doors specializes in residential garage doors. Garage Doors are what we do. Our tenured craftsmen have completed thousands of repairs and replacements, the same or similar to yours over the past several years.
– Southern Garage Doors proudly displays reviews on our website.
7. Check the BBB (Better Business Bureau) for complaints.
– Southern Garage Doors has no registered complaints and an A+ rating with the BBB.
8. How long has the contractor been in business?
– Southern Garage Doors has been in business for 6 years.
9. Do they have their own employees to perform the work, or do they rely solely on subcontractors or day workers?
– Southern Garage Doors has 2 Employees, Ron and Matt, Father and Son.
10. When they are available to start your project and what is the lead time?
– Southern Garage Doors prides itself in communicating effectively so our customers know tentative when the garage door is ordered and the first available day for install. For repairs we schedule as soon as possible or when it is convenient for your schedule.
11. How professional is the contractor at returning phone calls and in other business dealings?
– Southern Garage Doors does it’s best to answer the phone right away however if we are driving or on the job we will return phone call within two business hours.
12. What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
– At least 75% of Southern Garage Doors business is based on referrals from our satisfied customers.
13. Do you have identified service vehicles?
– Yes. Our truck and van is clearly marked.
A company that has nothing to hide will gladly answer your questions. Ask for pricing in advance. Now, many are going to tell you that they can't give you a price without coming out. It's perfectly normal and fair. They need to know what the issue really is before they can tell you what the solution costs. But! But! If they don't share their pricing structure with you, or give you examples of costs for specific tasks. I wouldn't even bother with them. Avoid any company that has a call center. At Southern Garage Doors, we will give you a ballpark price over the phone for any service we offer, prior to arriving.
If you need to employ someone to take care of your garage door, look for a company that is local, certified, insured, and has been around for a while. Avoid the salesmen who push you to the corner, the tradesmen who underplay the importance of code regulation and doing the job right, the traveling scams-men, and all large garage door companies that run TV ads (can you say expensive!).
Over the years, we've seen all kinds of tricks and traps designed by dishonest businesses. We understand we're not your only option for garage door and opener repair and replacement, but as long as we're around you, your always going to have a good one.